[PD] Missing objects in Pd-Extended Intel OSX?

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 23 18:30:21 CEST 2013

----- Original Message -----

[...]

>>  Then if $object_name matches any of the atoms that follow ALIAS, look for
> any files inside
>>  $directory that match any of the aliases.  If you find a match, follow the
> current loading logic
>>  (i.e., look for $objectname_setup, etc.).  This has the benefit that the
> external/abstraction
>>  developer doesn't have to care about what order to put the atoms after
> ALIAS, only that
>>  one of the atoms uses "normal" characters that correspond to the
> characters of the filename
>>  (minus the file extension) that contains the class/abstraction.
>
> i'm pretty sure there is a catch somewhere when it comes to loading
> abstractions.

Can you explain what the catch is?  Is it intractable?

>>  Finally, if there was a match, and there was a
> $normal_characters_name_setup that
>>  was executed without error, then Pd should automatically do a
> "class_addcreator" for
>>  each of the remaining aliases.
>>

> not sure whether this should be handled automatically or explicitely
> within an external.

For [block~]/[switch~] level flexibility I think it has to be explicit.  I
need to think about it more...

>>  I suppose its easier to require $1 of the "ALIAS" comment to be
> normal_characters_name.
>>  I think it's better for the external/abstraction author if it can be an
> unordered list, but honestly
>>  anything is better than the current hexloader complexity.
>
> what's that "complexity"? having to have to look up some
> characters in
> an ascii table?

Plus telling the user, "To not get broken objects load this library
that has a bug that is the reason it didn't already load."

But yes, having to look up characters in a table or even notice them
in a filename in the help browser or search plugin is more complex
than looking at human readable filenames and/or _setup routines.

>>  If someone can explain to me where the loop is in the source code where Pd
> looks for
>>  binaries/abstractions, I'll try to code it myself.
>
> just check the various loaders in externals/loaders/

Ok thanks.

-Jonathan