[PD] the next PdCon in...

Ed Kelly morph_2016 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 9 15:57:06 CEST 2013

>Hi there, the silence about this is kinda worrying me. Seems to me we may pass on this year, right?

Touche.

One thing to note - PDCon has always been about opportunity, not regularity. As Max showed last time (and all the others I've been to in fact) you have to have venue, funding and time. Tie-ins with other events are often springboards for PDCon as was the case with Dan's earlier emails regarding this (bear in mind he also has a PhD to do, so it may still happen).

Also, PDCon is seen as rather niche by institutions like ICMA, and AFIAK is not considered "worthy" enough in terms of research by some academic institutions*. So prior funding is vital.

Perhaps 3 years is a good timetable? 50% more research, papers, and time. We'll see. 2 years was ambitious given the current "global economic meltdown". Perhaps we could get Morgan Cha$e, Goldman $ach$ and Barclay$ to fund us, given that they've stolen all our money. Or we could crowdfund it (unlikely? how? ideas please!).

Cheers,
Ed

* The University where I work doesn't even fund me to go to the ICMC any more when my papers are accepted, but that's an exception I hope!