[PD] "pd: exiting" on RPi running arch

James Dunn james at 4thharmonic.com
Sun May 26 17:42:31 CEST 2013

Quoth IOhannes zmölnig, on 26/05/2013 16:16:
> try instead:
>  "-v" (for verbose)
>  "-v -v" (for more verbosity)

The pd -v, or -v -v options don't work, it justs prints out the valid
options, ie:

usage: pd [-flags] [file]...

audio configuration flags:
-r <n>           -- specify sample rate
-audioindev ...

etc..

>  "-nogui" (see whether Pd can start without the gui)
>  "-nosound" (does the sound-card give you trouble?)
>  "-noprefs" (stupid preference file?)

As mentioned previously, pd runs fine with -nogui. I made a patch on
another machine, then opened it on the RPi. The patch sends a message
via netsend to pdreceive (both on the pi) and it works fine when run as
-nogui. None of the audio options make any difference (-noaudio,
-nosound, -noadc, -nodac, -nomidi) and -noprefs has no effect either.

I made another patch to loadbang a sound out of the pi in -nogui but
that didn't work.

Strange that xterm works but pd doesn't - I have quite a minimal arch
install so maybe some other X packages are needed for tcl/tk/wish, etc?