[PD] Benefits of using an external soundcard?

Charles Z Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 22:50:30 CEST 2013

Hi Mario

The number one reason for having an external sound card is noise
isolation.  The card's proximity to the power supply and motherboard are
bad for EM noise.  Also, a computer power supply and a good audio power
supply for recording have much the same relationship--there's more noise in
switching electronics.

Next, there's the size constraints.  You'd have a hard time adding all the
connectors for a large number of channels on a card which plugs in to your
PCI(e) slots.

Third:  there's not as great a need for bandwidth for audio as there is
with video.  Video cards need all that PCI(e) bandwidth.  Audio doesn't.
It's a relatively small amount of data.  Of course--I think USB and
firewire really don't have enough bandwidth for good scalability, but
that's another discussion.

But... what are you doing with it?  You have different requirements for
recording and for live sound.  Live sound:  just do it up.  No one will
likely notice.

If you're planning on recording something on just 2 channels on the
built-in sound card, keep in mind that your dynamic range will be pretty
bad, even if you get a good pre-amp in the middle to take the most
advantage of your range.  You'd much rather have an external sound card
with some adjustable analog pre-amps in the box.

Chuck