[PD] sample based engine sound for racing game

Varun Nair nothingtokeep at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 12:06:10 CEST 2013

Andy Farnell has some interesting procedural techniques for engine
sounds in 'Designing Sound'. I've found better results combining some of
his techniques with actual engine recordings.

You could go the 'traditional' method and record engine sounds at
different RPMs and varispeed (read an array at different rates) and
cross fade between them. It will take some effort but should take you
somewhere.

If you want to design more realistic sounds it might be worth reading up
about the techniques used in actual game engines (especially on load and
off load sounds).

I'd made a prototype some time ago, in Max/MSP, that was a combination
of granular resynthesis, additive synthesis and a bit of convolution.
Not the most efficient technique, but it sounds quite alright.
http://bit.ly/IkV7ao

Cheers
Varun

--