[PD] age old multichannel sound card question...

Marco Donnarumma devel at thesaddj.com
Sat Sep 14 13:40:50 CEST 2013

Am 13.09.2013 um 01:34 schrieb peiman khosravi <peimankhosravi at gmail.com>:
> > I think the RME USB and firewire interfaces don't work on linux
> unfortunately. Or at least that's what I was told.
>
> I guess that should read: the RME interfaces which have both: USB AND FW
> ports on the same device.
>
> While the FireWire doesn't seem to be working on those devices with ffado
> yet, the devices can be set to the USB Class Complinant (CC) mode. A bug in
> alsa prevented USB2 Class Compliant interfaces to work at all. That has
> been fixed since.
>
> [snip]
>
> And for the record:
> Fireface 400 and Fireface 800 are listed as Full Support on the ffado page:
> http://www.ffado.org/?q=devicesupport/list&page=3

That's strange. I've heard all ppl using those devices with ffado happy
about it.
If you look at the discussions on the ffado list there's not much, but
apparently everything should work fine.

http://www.ffado.org/?q=node/72
http://www.ffado.org/?q=node/73

what happens when you launch the ffado-mixer, does the software find the
device and the routing mixer appears?
have you compiled the latest ffado from git or svn?

maybe can you post the output of ffado-diag?

by the way, I use a focusrite saffirePro40 and I'm very happy with it. It's
not a cheap one, but the output and input preamp quality is great. U'll
need latest ffado 2.1 (lots of bug fixes) and jackd2, + a realtime kernel
(low latency works for me by now, but sometimes gives me the chills, so im
trying to compile my own rt kernel for mint 15, based on ubuntu 13.04)

sorry if you mentioned this already, I arrived on this post a bit late..

cheers,