[PD] alsa and jack on ARM/Wandbaord

Chris Clepper cgclepper at gmail.com
Sun Sep 22 21:00:12 CEST 2013

I've got a Wandboard* here for some testing and I can't get Alsa to work in
duplex.  Testing with arecord produces a soundfile and aplay plays it back.
 But starting Pd with Alsa or jack gives the dreaded errors about the
resource being in use.  Pd's performance with just playback is pretty good
- pvoc example takes 20% cpu at 10ms latency - but I want to process some
audio input!

I built my own armhf kernel (much faster than armel) and have a very basic
Ubuntu filesystem in place.  There's no obvious process like pulseaudio
grabbing the audio hardware either.  Jack has all of the limits.conf set
high.

The audio device is sgtl5000 from Freescale.

What's the usual setup and troubleshooting process for Pd on Linux these
days?  Seems like these things are mostly sorted on x86, so maybe the
problem is driver or armhf related.

Thanks!

*Dual Cortex A9 box for $100: http://wandboard.org/