[PD] headroom in Pd

Chris Clepper cgclepper at gmail.com
Wed Jan 1 01:32:57 CET 2014

It's very, very easy to avoid any sort of clipping processing by using
hardware with drivers that don't have any!  Avid, Apogee, MOTU, RME, and
many others have bit transparent OSX CoreAudio drivers.

Also, any DAC worth it's using can reconstruct far beyond 0dBFS without
distortion, so hearing volume increase past -1..1 in software is not
surprising.  I recall the ADI 1955 and equivalent TI part putting out
+12dBFS or something ridiculous, but those ain't Wolfson low power
headphone codecs neither!