[PD] headroom in Pd

Chris Clepper cgclepper at gmail.com
Wed Jan 1 02:07:55 CET 2014

It's not even clear if there is some sort of soft clipping at play in
Alexandre's case, but some of the Apple hardware has used such either in
the CoreAudio driver or in the hardware codec itself.  As I recall the main
reasoning was to prevent hard clipping from damaging the tiny laptop
speakers and some models it was bypassed when headphones are plugged in.

Personally, I test all mixes and masters in iTunes using the headphone out
of a Mac Mini.  If it sounds bad there I don't blame the driver though.