[PD] groove machine how to: keep metro and a loop in sync

Funs Seelen funsseelen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 18:45:05 CET 2014

Hi Filippo,

You're welcome.

You probably forgot to reply-to-all, but I added pd-list to the
conversation. I hope you don't mind, but I do this ...
a) to prevent ten people to answer the same question, not knowing that nine
others are or have been spending time to do exactly the same, and
b) for the archive. It's annoying if you have a problem, search the web,
and do find your question, but not the answer, since it is not made public.

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 5:48 PM, Filippo Beck Peccoz <mail at fbpsound.com>wrote:

> Hi Funs and thanks a lot for the message! Sorry if I'm launching noob
> questions at you, but so far I've only used a tabplay~ object and a metro
> with a set bpm, and triggered both of them at the same time- this is
> obviously not ideal..although it "almost" works the fade into and out of
> the drum loop should be perfectly timed, especially for this kind of
> application.
>
> I am, however, a little lost as to how extrapolate bar/beat information
> from the objects you suggested. I'm sure it's super easy and I'm missing
> something obvious. Why do you put the 1000 in the message that goes to the
> line object?

I assumed you were reading the table with [tabread~] or [tabread4~]. For
looping purposes it is common to use [phasor~] in combination with one of
these two. If the loop should last 1 second (1000 ms) its frequence should
be 1 Hertz (cycle per second). So the equivalent for the argument `1' for
[phasor~] would be `1000' (milliseconds) for [line~]. Translation is done
using the following function: y = 1000 / x, where x is the length of the
time interval in ms and y the frequency in Hz (note that x = 1000 / y).
This one second sample was just an example. [soundfiler] outputs the length
of your sound sample in dsp samples.

I don't understand what you mean by `bar/beat information', for I can't
precisely imagine what you are building.

Regards,
Funs