[PD] comments with trailing | ?

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 31 21:47:46 CET 2014

On 01/24/2014 05:36 PM, Miller Puckette wrote:
> Delete these lines in g_text.c:
>
>          /* for comments, just draw a bar on RHS if unlocked; when a visible
>          canvas is unlocked we have to call this anew on all comments, and when
>          locked we erase them all via the annoying "commentbar" tag. */
>      else if (x->te_type == T_TEXT && glist->gl_edit)
>      {
>          if (firsttime)
>              sys_vgui(".x%lx.c create line\
>   %d %d %d %d -tags [list %sR commentbar]\n",
>                  glist_getcanvas(glist),
>                  x2, y1,  x2, y2, tag);
>          else
>              sys_vgui(".x%lx.c coords %sR %d %d %d %d\n",
>                  glist_getcanvas(glist), tag, x2, y1,  x2, y2);
>      }
>

> (however, that won't disable the functionality; just the ugly marks.)
>
> I'm still trying to think of something less ugly - tell me if you have any
> ideas...

Just to give a concrete example, something like:

else if (x->te_type == T_TEXT && glist->gl_edit)
{
     if (firsttime)
         sys_vgui(".x%lx.c create rect %d %d %d %d "
             "-dash {1 3} "
             "-tags [list %sR commentbar]\n",
             glist_getcanvas(glist), x1, y1, x2, y2, tag);
     else
         sys_vgui(".x%lx.c coords %sR %d %d %d %d\n",
             glist_getcanvas(glist), tag, x1, y1, x2, y2);
}

Then you have a visual clue that the user is in editmode, with no
ambiguity between the drawing and the text.

You can play with the dash values-- I chose those because it gives a
clear contrast to broken boxes.  Use a larger 2nd integer to make the
dashed box stand out less.

Btw-- I haven't tested this.  I'd be a lot more likely to try out code
on Pd Vanilla 0.45 if someone could explain to me how to do incremental
builds.  If I change a single line in g_text.c in 0.43 it only requires
a single "make" that takes about 3 seconds.  Doing the same in 0.45
requires "make clean && make", unnecessarily rebuilding all of Pd.
Doing "make" in the src directory of 0.45 only rebuilds the things that
need to recompile, but it doesn't update the binary, which makes it useless.

-Jonathan