[PD] Is open source better?

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 03:21:40 CET 2014

On 10/02/14 11:53, Pall Thayer wrote:
> I'm giving a presentation this week. In a way, it's a counter argument to a
> recent presentation on Max/MSP. One of the things that I want to highlight
> is the "open sourceness" of PD. libpd presents a very good argument and
> I'll be highlighting a project I was involved with that produced an IOS app
> that used libpd as the audio engine. Is there anything else I should be
> considering besides the obvious points of open source being open source.
> Concrete examples of PD's open sourceness trumping proprietary technologies?

IOs is an odd choice for talking about open source when the only way to install
such an app in a device (without jailbreaking it or paying the developer tithe)
is by licensing the binary closed source (on their terms) to Apple to distribute
via their platform-monopoly app store, which will not distribute the sources or
GPL or LGPL apps?

Certainly licenses such as libpd's BSD like one do allow reuse of the code in
any app, open source or otherwise, but then is that use still open source???

Simon