[PD] Wich licence?

Marco Donnarumma lists at marcodonnarumma.com
Sat Feb 15 11:53:33 CET 2014

Hey,

it depends what kind of restrictions are you talking about.

A program is free software when guarantees:

- The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).
- The freedom to study how the program works, and change it so it does your
computing as you wish (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a
precondition for this.
- The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor (freedom
2).
- The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others
(freedom 3). By doing this you can give the whole community a chance to
benefit from your changes. Access to the source code is a precondition for
this.

A GNU license guarantee all those core freedoms to all users. The
restriction is that users have to apply the same license to anything they
do with or from your software. They can also sell what they do with your
software, but must ensure the same license is applied.

MIT license, for instance, guarantees core freedoms (please, correct me if
wrong), but allows users to change the license of their derivative works.

Also check the LGPL.

hope that helps,
cheers,

--
Marco Donnarumma
Performer, body tinkerer, teacher and writer.

Message: 2