[PD] smooth random numbers

Ingo ingo at miamiwave.com
Mon Feb 24 15:27:29 CET 2014

Roman,

are you using MIDI in theory or "real life"?

"Jitter" is MIDI's "alias name".

In practice MIDI data is being reduced as much as possible to avoid
overloading the MIDI bus and in return causing serious timing problems or
even missing data. Since I would not expect this signal to be the only one
through the MIDI interface I would actually reduce the data on fast changes
even drastically more.

All (decent) MIDI receiving devices interpolate between the values in order
to avoid zipper noise.

I see your point - in fact I had the same thought that you had at first!
I dropped it right away.

Working on a daily basis with MIDI I know that this is a waste of time.
Actually: I would add a [speedlim 5] to reduce data further and you still
wouldn't hear anything unusual.

That reminds me a little of people asking for 14-bit pitchbend. It would
take about 11 seconds to move the pitchbend wheel on a keyboard from the
bottom to the top. Even a 7-bit pitchbend takes more that 80 ms sending all
values.
It's impossible to play music with a precise timing like this!

In practice a very fast volume change going from 0 - 127 usually gets
reduced to 3-5 numbers in order to allow additional controllers like
pitchbend and aftertouch to be sent at the same time and still keep the note
on jitter within a range of maybe 3-8 ms (plus the jitter of the interface
itself).

And BTW - why would "random" need extra precision?
Doesn't the word random say it all?

Another neglected thing is the curve that the data change should have. That
would obviously require some extra calculation. I don't remember reading
anything about that in the original posting, though.

Ingo