[PD] libpd separating gui from core

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 25 01:08:50 CET 2014

On 02/24/2014 03:03 PM, Dan Wilcox wrote:
> Exactly. If we can build a list of things that should/could be in the
> core, then we have a starting place to see if there is a way to work
> into into either vanilla or a wrapper like libpd.

Let's just focus on a single feature-- "$@"-- and assume that there is
widespread desire for such a feature by most Pd users.

How do we put this feature into a wrapper like libpd?  The only thing I
can think of is as part of a patch set that get applied to core Vanilla,
and that's hard to maintain.

As for working stuff into Vanilla-- that's Miller's personal version of
Pd, and I've never once seen him state that it's the reference client,
or that it's at the top of any hierarchy.  All I've seen is
passive-aggressive statements from other devs on this list who say,
"You'll have to ask Miller if you want to get 'whatever' in Vanilla,"
when I ask about the kind of issues you're talking about. Of course I
can't be certain but I'd guess that style of non-development is probably
one of the biggest sources of your frustration.

But I really will help you implement whatever it is you think improves
sustainable development for Pd.  I really, really don't want to extract
patches from the 1000+ commits in Pd-l2ork (granted the
core/non-graphical changes would be fewer), but I'll help you do it if
that's the path you want to take.

-Jonathan