[PD] [PD-announce] pd 0.46-0test1 released

Miller Puckette msp at ucsd.edu
Thu Aug 21 18:42:04 CEST 2014

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 06:06:52PM +0200, Cyrille Henry wrote:

> yes, i prefer fudi to.
> but on small hardware, like the one i was developing 12 years ago, OSC was faster.
> not because of the reduced bandwidth, but because of the conversion between ascii character to float.
> but that time is over now, and this conversion should be quicker even on "small" hardware.
>
> cheers

I agree - this is still a problem for pd~, which uses FUDI.  I've been thinking
for years about making a binary form of FUDI:

f <4 byte float>
s <zero-terminated character string>
;
,

One thing I keep wondering is how, in netsend/netreceive, to name this so that
it won't get confused with raw binary.  Maybe it justneeds a name (BUDI?)

cheers