[PD] [PD-dev] Should message objects be able to pre-parse $0 into valid dollarzero?

Colet Patrice colet.patrice at free.fr
Sat Sep 13 23:10:39 CEST 2014

Le 13/09/2014 22:15, Roman Haefeli a écrit :
>> Personally, I even prefer the status quo to the proposed use of $0.
>> It is cumbersome, admittedly, but I'd rather miss a feature than
>> using a feature that fully breaks the logic of the whole. Roman

Hello

It should be possible with some tcl magicks to turn $ found in message
boxes to # or @.

That also means that externals like gridflow wouldn't work anymore with
this message system because it already uses # and @.

Also this could drive to the introduction of a new variable into a patch
for getting pd version that has been used to write it, and then
unfortunately for devs, something more complicated using an historic
library containing rules to retrieve the good code.

I don't know the implications of introducing some wizard that rewrite
code into patches for backward compatibility,
but the idea looks seducing for me because it might break inertia that
makes the GUI still looking like patching in the nineties.

Sorry for the cynicism but it's truely a joke we sometimes share when
it's about pd interface.