[PD] Updated pd-extended

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 26 04:22:05 CEST 2014

On 09/25/2014 12:54 PM, Jonathan Wilkes via Pd-list wrote:
> Um... have you actually read the source for DesireData?

Just to clarify this-- from m_pd.h desiredata 2010.01.05:

struct _symbol {
     char *name;           /* the const string that represents this
symbol */
     t_pd *thing;          /* pointer to the target of a receive-symbol
or to the bindlist of several targets */
     struct _symbol *next; /* brochette of all symbols (only for
permanent symbols) */
     size_t refcount;      /* refcount<0 means that the symbol is
permanent */
     size_t n;             /* size of name (support for NUL characters) */
#ifdef PD_PLUSPLUS_FACE
     bool operator == (const char *s) const {return
strcmp(this->name,s)==0;}
     bool operator != (const char *s) const {return strcmp(this->name,s);}
#endif
};

Desiredata's t_symbol has extra members that aren't in Pd Vanilla's
t_symbol struct.  If there is any external out there that uses an array
of symbols, then there will be problems due to this binary compatibility.

I have no idea if this is representative of the rest of DesireData or if
it is an outlier.  I only know it is a form of binary incompatibility.
Whether it is a significant form is up for discussion, but that requires
a more sophisticated discussion than "Pd-l2ork = binary_incompatible = bad".

-Jonathan