[PD] [oscparse] parsing address patterns with integers differently

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 12:02:32 CET 2014

On Tue, 2014-10-28 at 09:21 +0100, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> I think, for the way back some external based on atoi(3) or atof(3) is needed.
> I'm pretty sure someone has made one already. The "0" in the printed "symbol 0"
> is a real symbol atom itself, just like the word "zero" would. One could
> [select] it, but if you don't know what symbol-number youmight get, only atoX
> can convert back, I believe. But I might be wrong ...

I know of at least two ways to convert symbolic numbers into real
floats, but none of them is really satisfying. One is to save the symbol
or list containing symbolic numbers with [textfile] and re-read the file
afterwards. The other one is sending such a symbol/list through
[netsend]/[netreceive]. I consider them not satisfying because it either
involves an unnecessary file system access (and there is no save
temporary path that works across platforms), the other one is not
execution order safe.

How about a [list eval], that would re-evaluate the incoming list and
would consider only its plain content while disregarding the used atom
types. Does that make sense?

Roman