[PD] Raspberry Pi & pd 0.46 with real time priority

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 02:45:35 CET 2014

Great, all pieces of the puzzle come together with this information.

Source file s_inter.c gives a hint how to check what real time
priority level Pd gets. Start from command line with option -verbose.
For puredata 0.46.2 (the .deb) Pd window now says:

'priority 6 scheduling enabled.'

In contrast, Miller's build wants at least priority 96 but doesn't get
that. Raspbian has by default a file
/etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf, with the following content:

@audio   -  rtprio     95
@audio   -  memlock    unlimited
#@audio   -  nice      -19

This was already pointed out by Chris. The file has precedence over
/etc/security/limits.conf, therefore the settings you make in
limits.conf have no effect. But if you change the rtprio value in
audio.conf from 95 to 96, real time priority is granted to Miller's
build as well, without any further change. It's that simple in the
end.

Not that I understand the details of it. Why is Pd compiled with Jack
support happy about priority 6, while it demands 96 otherwise? In
practice it seems that priority 6 does a good job on the Pi, but what
does it mean on a scale from 1 to 100? Priority 95 is often
recommended as maximum value for audio processes, but I've never seen
an explanation for the exact numbers.

Katja