[PD] Fw: [PD-dev] Mouse over editing Pd patch

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 7 21:18:41 CET 2015

Hi Ed,When you move the mouse on a canvas...1) A tk mouse motion event calls a proc (I can't remember the rate at which they are sent, but run Pd with -d 3 and watch how many motion messages are sent over the socket as you mouse around)
2) The proc sends a message "[canvas you're mousing around in] motion blah blah blah" to the Pd process
3) Pd forwards the message to the canvas you're mousing around on, by calling the "motion" method
4) canvas_motion leads to canvas_doclick, which leads to this:for (y = x->gl_list; y; y = y->g_next)
So for each motion message, Pd searches through a linked list of objects on the canvas either until it finds one under the mouse or it runs out of objects.  If you only have a [bng] and a subpatch on the canvas, it probably is insignificant-- it's just comparing two saved bbox coordinates to the mouse position.  If you have your entire monster patch on a single canvas, just following all those pointers in the linked list is probably taking its toll on Pd's ability to compute a block of audio on schedule.
-Jonathan