[PD] compiling externs on windows

David Medine dmedine at ucsd.edu
Thu Jan 15 23:59:33 CET 2015

Got it. Thanks, Miller!

I attach a zip archive of bob~ with the modified makefiles and bob~.dll
for the Windozers out there. Please let me know if there are any
questions/comments/complaints.

I was assuming that I needed VC98 because of the recipes in the
makefile.include that came in the bob~ folder. I guess it's been a while
since that makefile got updated in the Windows section. I modified
makefile.include along the lines of what is in makefile.subdir. I had to
take out some of the double \s and also change 'Program Files' to
'Program Files (86)' -- I don't know why the 64-bit Visual Studio
directory is different on my computer, but I don't know why a lot of
things in Windows are the way they are. I also had to change
'CSYM=bob~_tilde' to 'CSYM=bob_tilde' in the makefile.

In any case it works and this can serve as an example of compiling
externs in Windows, at least for the time being. One note is that I also
had to add the directories for cl and link in my environment variable
'Path' and that I had to put the bob~ folder in Pd's extra folder. I
also had to add the include directory $(VC)\src to the list of include
dirs. For some reason that is where the file stddef.h lives on my computer.