[PD] Correct way to precess an audio stream

Alessio Degani alessio.degani at ymail.com
Sat Jan 17 13:25:41 CET 2015

On 16/01/2015 19:33, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
> On 01/16/2015 12:23 PM, Alessio Degani wrote:
>> Hi list,
> [...]
>
>> When you want to write a PD external that process audio stream, the
>> scenario is:
>> 1- PD passes chunked audio stream to the inlet of the external and read
>> an audio chunk from the outlet of that external.
>> Each input and output chunk is of fixed length of, say, Nc samples. Each
>> chunk is a NON-overlapped adjacent chunk of the audiostream to be
>> processed.
> i hope you are aware that this is a simplification on your side, and not
> how Pd handles audio streams (when it comes to overlapping)

Humm... I didn't know that there are different way to handle audio
stream in PD. Can PD directly manage overlapp and stuff like that?
Where I can read something about that? (I've already read your very
useful guide: HOWTO write an External for Pure Data)

>> My question is:
>> There is a standard way, a "design pattern", to manage this kind of
>> processing?
> i don't know of a standard "design pattern" but there are two ways that
> come to my mind:
>
> - implement a ring-buffer where you put the sample chunks delivered by
> Pd, and read/use them whenever you have collected enough data.
> overlapping is very simple to implement (as long as you don't overwrite
> the data :-))

Yes... I think that [out/in] ring-buffer is a good practice!

> - let Pd do the partitioning and overlapping.
> this should be the preferred way, but obviously only works if you can
> live with Pd's constraints regarding overlap (overlap-factor mus be a
> power-of-two).
> [CUT]

Ok... as I said before, I would like to learn more about this! :)
It seems a useful facility!

Thank you

> gfmdar
> IOhannes