[PD] earplug~

Òscar Martínez Carmona xamps23 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 10:12:05 CEST 2015

Hi,
My experience with earplug was that the external itself does the
interpolation for you and there's no need to use line to avoid clicks.
Feeding it directly with and angle with decimals works just fine. Also even
using this 5 degrees resolutio, due to the interpolation I guess, it feels
really smooth. Actually I have to say it works fairly well and maybe the
only drawback it is that it's a bit dsp intensive.
Salut!

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 9:52 AM, Etienne Landon <landon.etienne at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure you need to smooth the angle, if you have a look at the hrtf
> set (http://sound.media.mit.edu/KEMAR.html) it only has 5 degrees
> precision in yaw and 10 degrees in elevation. So if I'm not wrong your
> smoothing as no effect.
>
> Etienne

> gilbertohasnofb at googlemail.com>:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I am trying to use [earplug~] for a sound installation of mine, but I ran
>> into a problem that I can't think of how to solve. I am feeding the angle
>> values to [earplug~] through a [line] to smooth them out, but when the
>> angle changes from 359.9 to 0 there is an audible click (since line is
>> actually ramping down the value from 359.9 to 0 going through all the other
>> angles). How is the best way of solving this?
>>
>> I am considering to fold the angle function so that effectively it only
>> ranges from 90 and 270 degrees (180 is the centre for [earplug~]). By doing
>> that, both 0 and 360 would become 180, thus avoiding the unwanted click,
>> but that would mean that there is would be no distinction between sounds
>> coming from the front and the back of the listener.
>>
>> Do you guys have any better ideas on how to solve this?
>>
>> Thanks a lot!
>> Gilberto

Òscar Martínez Carmona