[PD] Cycle~ difference with Max5. Was: Update cyclone maintenance

Fred Jan Kraan fjkraan at xs4all.nl
Thu Jun 11 09:09:51 CEST 2015

Hi Alexandre,

> So, hey Fred, would you be able to get into sourceforge and close all
> the bug reports that have already been taken care of?
>
> I'm not sure how to get in it and do it. I guess I should do that to
> cause I'm aware of a few things that are going on, so if anyone could
> tell me how to do it, I'd like to try and collaborate.

IOhannes changed the policy, so any registered developer can close
issues. I already started closing some of which I was reasonable sure
they were fixed. Some others, I want to check  first.

> Moreover, still about [cycle~], I just wanted to make sure it behaves
> exactly like it says in Max 5 documentation. They descibre how it needs
> a table with 513 points, and that the 513 needs to be the same as the
> 1st because of the interpolation (I assume it does a simple linear
> interpolation then, right?). In the case of a table with 512 points,
> [cycle~] will add a 513th point that's a copy of the first. Anyway, this
> is what it says in the documentation and I'd like to check with you if
> it's working exactly like that as well. Perhaps you could mention that
> too in the help file.

Yesterday, I updated the cyclone binary distributions at
http://puredata.info/Members/fjkraan. The simplest way to install the
correct one is using the deken-plugin:
https://github.com/pure-data/deken. If you use Pd-extended, you have to
rename or remove the original cyclone directory, to prevent having two
cyclones.

Indeed, simple interpolation is used. From the cycle_perform:
*out++ = f1 + frac * (f2 - f1);

I replaced the core of the cycle_gettable, and in case of an external
array, the 513th sample is copied from the first.

I do not completely understand the Description of the Max5 cycle~: when
should I make the 513th sample the same as the 512th and when should I
use the first? The latest implementation always uses the first.

> cheers

Fred Jan