[PD] Font size on Windows and Linux

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 22:57:56 CEST 2015

On Sat, 2015-10-03 at 16:11 +0000, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
> What font are you using?

On Winodws 7 (quite pristine) I get the following message:

WARNING: Font family 'DejaVu Sans Mono' not found, using default
(courier)

On Linux, I don't get such a message. So I assume I'm actually using
'DejaVi Sans Mono'.

> I have to admit that after looking at Pd's font system, I have no idea
> how it's supposed to
> work.

I see. So do I (given how much you understand of Pd's code, there isn't
much of a chance I could understand it).

> There are two hardcoded collections of font metrics-- one in
> font_fixed_metrics in that
> tcl file, and another in s_main.c called sys_fontlist.  It looks like
> the one in the tcl file is used as
> a point of reference against which tcl/tk can measure the font on the
> user's system.  But then
> when you sent those metrics off to Pd, it takes them and compares them
> _again_, this time
> against the sys_fontlist min/max x/y values.  That seems unnecessarily
> complex and prone
> to error.

I couldn't figure out what those lists of numbers actually do. Are they
meant to define a box that the best-suiting font-size is fitted into
automatically? Sorry that this so alien to me even after your
explanation (but maybe there is no need for me to understand it).

Anyway, what I said in my last mail is still not true. The problem is
more complex. On one WinXP box and also with Wine I get different widths
for the sizes 8, 10 and 12 (compared to Linux). On another WinXP and a
Win7 box I get a different width only for the size 12. On a closer look,
though, box heights are differ sometimes, too. See this animated gif:

http://www.netpd.org/~roman/tmp/font_comaprison_linux_windows7.gif

Now, since you asked what font I'm using, I notice that this is probably
the reason for the different box sizes on Windows. On Wine it looks like
Pd is using 'DejaVu Sans Mono' (so when using the _same_ font, the
differences are _bigger_).

To make a long story short: The topic definitely is still an issue. And
we haven't even talked about Pd on Mac (probably it is not an issue
there?)

Roman