[PD] [packOSC] reentrancy problem

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 18:08:09 CET 2015

On Thu, 2015-11-05 at 11:11 -0500, Martin Peach wrote:
> What do you expect the patch to do, hang Pd?

You're right. The patch would cause a stack overflow. I sent another
one.

> For me it prints this in the Pd 0.46.7 console:
>   packOSC: This packet is not a bundle, so you can't write another
> address
>   packOSC: Problem writing address.
>   packOSC: According to the type tag I didn't expect any more
> arguments.
>   packOSC: usage error, write-msg failed.
>   print: /trigger/osc/message now
>
> It's possible to open a bundle (with a '[' message) and add multiple
> messages, but the OSC message is output only when the bundle is closed
> with the ']' message.

Yeah, but I don't want to start a bundle. I think [packOSC] should be
done processing before sending the message to the outlet, but maybe
there is a reason it is in a special state when sending something to the
outlet?

> In your patch, if you put a [delay] after the bang outlet it will
> start an infinite loop at the delay interval. I'm not sure why the
> delay is necessary though, as [packOSC] should have finished
> processing the previous message by the time the next one arrives, even
> if it's a zero logical time delay.

So, you think this is a bug?

Roman