[PD] 0 length delay in delwrite~

Christof Ressi christof.ressi at gmx.at
Sat Dec 12 15:41:28 CET 2015

>> I'll keep saying it is a bug in the object, and that the object should be fixed in order to be consistent with its description.

Or one could change the description to be consistent with the behaviour ;-). Once again, specifying the buffer size makes much more sense then giving a maximum delay time, because the latter one is dependend on the blocksize. As the various [delread~] objects can operate at different blocksizes (which can also change during runtime) the [delwrite~] object would need to keep track of this. In some cases, a change of blocksize for a single [delread~] would even need a memory reallocation for the whole delay line. So specifying the buffer size is the easiest way.
[delread~] could, however, add 64 samples to the buffer, so that for 'regular' subpatches, the buffer size equals the maximum delay line (this is actually the behaviour of [vd~], which is not consistent with [delwrite~] by the way). Personally I think we should hide as little as possible from the user and just make it clear in the help-patch, that buffer size != max. delay time.

Actually I don't understand your example: if [delwrite~] and [delread~] are scheduled, specifying a maximum delay time of 0 is pointless. If you, however, want a simple block delay in a feedback loop, just use a pair of [send~] and [receive~].

Cheers