[PD] How to update Pd 0.45.4 to 0.46.7 0n Ubuntu 14.4 (Odroid XU4)

Joel Matthys jwmatthys at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 01:29:44 CET 2015

On Linux it's most common for your compiled binaries to be installed to
/usr/local. I recommend you keep this default, because if you ever want
to remove the version you created you can do it without messing with
your all-important /usr folder.

Ubuntu looks for binaries in /usr/local/bin before it tries /usr/bin.
That means that your compiled 0.46-7 should be the preferred version.

You can double check this with:
$ echo $PATH

you should get something like
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:
etc., meaning the OS will check the local folders first

If you launch pd from the terminal, does it launch the new version?

To get the menu launcher right, you probably need to edit
/usr/share/applications/puredata.desktop (or pd.desktop or whatever it's
called) to point to the right binary file in /usr/local/bin

-Joel