[PD] multi-language help patches

Lucas Cordiviola lucarda27 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 26 23:03:31 CET 2016

M-L-Help files can be done translating each help file and saving it
with a name like “metro-help-ES.pd” or “metro-help-FR.pd”
then telling pd to add the -ES or -XX to the english helpfile name.

That's
not maintainable:

1.
Revisions to the demo part of the help patch would have to be applied

manually,
to as many patches as there are languages.

2.
In almost all cases the translater has to mess around with the
positioning

of
objects to make sure that the comments don't overlap.

3.
Currently, Pd doesn't even give you a visual cue for the max width
and

height
of a comment object at a particular font size, so the translater
can't even know whether the comments they are manually positioning
will in fact collide on

someone
else's system.

These 3 points could be part of
the job, once the comments have been translated to that patch you can
download it and correct it, and upload.

4.
Even if all the points above weren't an issue, the design becomes
baked

in
and isn't user-friendly for people who want to zoom in to make the
text bigger.

I've
notice this with the GUI port-- if you zoom in on a PDDP patch the
help

text
extends past the window dimensions, causing vertical scrollbars which
are

the
worst in terms of readability.  So now you have to manually resize
the

window
so that the zoomed text fits inside it.  Not bad for reading a single
patch,

but
try that 100 times esp. on one of those awful linux wm's that give
you a

2x2
hotspot for resizing the window.

This point I have no idea.