[PD] Does PD find you a job?

day five day5ive at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 15:52:15 CET 2016

Pd can definitely help you land a job, but probably not in the way you
think.

By itself, the "brand recognition" you get from Pd is marginal at best. The
same is true for Max/MSP or any other piece of software, commercial or
otherwise. For this reason, I would encourage you to list ways in which Pd
has changed your thinking, rather than trumpeting that you know how to use
the specific program on your resume.

Generally speaking, you should not endeavor to sell yourself based on
knowledge of one specific program or language. What you should sell
yourself on are the thought processes that Pd encourages.

Employers don't care that you know how to create a [loadbang] object or
patch specific wires every which way in Pd. Employers care that you can
think through difficult problems and come up with novel solutions that are
not implicitly tied to a single programming language or program. Languages
and programs can become obsolete. Mastery of concepts never does, because
you adapt and grow just as new languages and programs do.

As someone who administers a fair amount of job interviews for various
engineering positions, I am often not thrilled when a person focuses on one
specific language or program. I am most definitely thrilled by someone who
has learned a useful concept and can apply it across multiple pieces of
software, by virtue of having mastered the concept.

Good luck!