[PD] Does PD find you a job?

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 15 18:13:19 CET 2016

> As someone who administers a fair amount of job interviews for various engineering positions, I am often not thrilled when a person focuses on one specific language or program. I am most definitely thrilled by someone who has learned a useful concept and can apply it across multiple pieces of software, by virtue of having mastered the concept.
I see your point wrt fundamental patterns.

But if I were in HR and were thrilled by someone displaying an apparent mastery of, say, concurrency or PKI across languages, I'd pay them double
what they're asking to teach me how they exploited my brain.  (Plus some techniques to guard against future attacks.)
-Jonathan

 On Tuesday, March 15, 2016 10:56 AM, day five <day5ive at gmail.com> wrote:

 Pd can definitely help you land a job, but probably not in the way you think.
By itself, the "brand recognition" you get from Pd is marginal at best. The same is true for Max/MSP or any other piece of software, commercial or otherwise. For this reason, I would encourage you to list ways in which Pd has changed your thinking, rather than trumpeting that you know how to use the specific program on your resume.
Generally speaking, you should not endeavor to sell yourself based on knowledge of one specific program or language. What you should sell yourself on are the thought processes that Pd encourages.
Employers don't care that you know how to create a [loadbang] object or patch specific wires every which way in Pd. Employers care that you can think through difficult problems and come up with novel solutions that are not implicitly tied to a single programming language or program. Languages and programs can become obsolete. Mastery of concepts never does, because you adapt and grow just as new languages and programs do.
As someone who administers a fair amount of job interviews for various engineering positions, I am often not thrilled when a person focuses on one specific language or program. I am most definitely thrilled by someone who has learned a useful concept and can apply it across multiple pieces of software, by virtue of having mastered the concept.
Good luck!
On Sun, Mar 13, 2016 at 10:05 AM, Andrea <andrea.txt at tiscali.it> wrote:

I'm learning PD for fun and personal interest, but I was wondering
if it's good résumé material as well.

Did any of you, or someone you know, find jobs based on PD skills?

Thanks in advance for your experiences.