[PD] Multiprocessing in Pd (was DSP and Gem in the same instance of Pd)

Lucas Cordiviola lucarda27 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 1 09:04:16 CEST 2016

>communicates via FIFO because it needs to be able to keep messages and audio in sync by block.
Sounds interesting.
If its true that a single thread time can be alternated in number of cores (this in turn distributes better the idle times for transistors), and this makes a system more stable, not more powerful, but just more stable, I think its a goal.
Don`t get me wrong, I have no idea what FIFO is and also I don't need Pd to be more stable, but probably others do.

3) Pd is deterministic, which means that (as noted in the quote above), any memory sharing across threads would need to involve locks, which can be killer in real-time, not to mention difficult to scale and guarantee thread safety. [pd~] communicates via FIFO because it needs to be able to keep messages and audio in sync by block.I'm sure there's more.