[PD] raspberry pi 3 with OpenGL

Peter Venus news at petervenus.de
Fri Apr 22 18:00:34 CEST 2016

Hej

i just chime in, playing around with a raspi3 and the openGL driver.

i second the statement, that the driver is pretty alpha, but it seems to
work, if one tweeks the right screws.

on installing GEM:

i did not compile from hand, but used the GEM version, that comes with
the pies add-software.
this provides the latest GEM stable, 0.93.3,
starting pd from the terminal with
pd -lib Gem

on activating the driver:
the process of activating the driver gave me some headaches.
- problem: flashing rainbow-square, solution: proper power supply, 2.5A!
(i finally used a rasppi-branded one)

- problem: black screen after boot, when driver is activated, solution:

the problem doesnt seem to affect all users, so maybe it is related to
the EDID-communications
of the different screens, at least thats a guess of some people.

i found, that some users overcame this problem by adding some
information to /boot/cmdline.txt
(not to the /boot/config.txt)
basically defining the resolution of the pi.

found here(the comments to the release announcment):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/another-new-raspbian-release/#comment-1253188

" Edward Pike says:
12th Feb 2016 at 6:05 pm
<https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/another-new-raspbian-release/#comment-1253188>

HI

None of my hdmi settings worked in config.txt; I got the black screen.

HOWEVER, I put the video resolution as a kernel parameter and IT WORKED.
Mine is as follows (note the video=..) parameter (it depends on the
actual device of course).

pi at raspberrypi:/boot $ cat cmdline.txt
dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1
root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes
rootwait video=1360×768"

with this added "video XXXXxYYYY" i was able to boot and use GEM
as i would have expected.
only thing is, when entering a lower resolution then the native
resolution of the connected display device,
the screen is somehow divided and has colored pixels on the left.
so it is not exactly plug'n'play.

the other necessary setting, that is covered in most of the raspi-forums:
- set the GPU-Memory to 128mb via raspi-config

anyway, i happily use the extendedviewtoolkit for video mapping on a pie
now,

a side note:
when using PD with the activated openGL driver, i can't see any
patchcords anymore, except
if they are straight downwards. well, for the moment i can live with
that, since i prepare the patches on a different machine.

maybe if i change the width of the patchcords to more than one pixel, i
would be able to see them.
i will have a look into that on the weekend.

so far, my experience.
unluckily no guarantee it works for all the pies out there.

i will share my further findings with this list.

cheers, peter