[PD] deken install user experience

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 19:19:27 CEST 2016

I agree with Hans.

My 2 cents: I kind of like ~/pd-externals and use it for both deken and my own git clones of various abstraction libs, etc. I don;t mind it being “in the way” as I routinely work from it on my own libs.

IMO there should be a deken path setting in the Path dialog with ~/.local/lib/pd/extra as default. Then I could go in, change the path to ~/pd-externals and it uses that from then on, until I change it.

I don’t think deken should do any sort of auto-trickery at all, but have a plain default location you can change that doesn’t require choosing a directory each time you install something. Another option could be to create a deken settings dialog which could be launched from a button in the deken GUI proper. This way, we’d get a settings location without having to add anything directly to the pdsettings. There could be a similar .dekensettings file along side that simply stores the download path for now, which could be expanded if we need other info. I’d be willing to mock that up if needed.

In any case, I’m glad to see people weighing in on deken and helping to improve it. Sorry all of this feedback didn’t come earlier, before the 0.47 release and when you had to manually install it, but such is life.

--------
Dan Wilcox
@danomatika <https://twitter.com/danomatika>
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>