[PD] Recent PD/Gem on Windows

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 22:52:54 CEST 2016

On Sat, 2016-07-09 at 11:26 +0200, oliver wrote:
> me.grimm wrote:
> >
> > Yeah the error I got with Pd 0.47.1/ Gem 0.93.3 is:
> >
> > "filmQT: Could not initialize quicktime: error -209"
> >
> > I DID install Quicktime and error went away but again, Quicktime on
> > Windows is now depreciated so in the future....?
>
> yes, it's encouraged to drop it from windows machines for security
> reasons.
>
> my workaround for this:
>
> since all of my MAX/PD/VVVV videos are encoded with the "photojpeg"
> or
> "mjpeg" codec (as these proved to be having the best
> size/performance
> ratio and they work best when frames are directly called - i.e. a
> video
> has to be synched with sound) you can easily just switch the
> container
> by renaming a file "xxx.mov" to "xxx.avi"

Changing the extension does _not_ switch the container format, although
it might change the icon and it probably starts a different program
when double-clicking, since on Windows files are associated to programs
by their extension.
Still, different containers means media streams are organized in a
different way within the file. Some tools like 'exiftool' (also
available for Windows) will tell you exactly what kind of media file
you have.

Roman