[PD] [bob~] denormals issue?

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 22:21:37 CEST 2016

Hi Christof,

Makefile.pdlibbuilder passes flags '-march=pentium4 -msse -msse2
-mfpmath=sse' for optimization to the compiler on Windows. You could
try compiling without (some of) these flags to see if they are
responsible for the different behavior. Makefile-defined optimization
flags can be overriden with argument CFLAGS given on command line.

The effect of optimization flags on denormals varies per processor
type, unfortunately. When we had denormals on Raspberry Pi ARMv6 they
wouldn't go away no matter what flags, is what I remember. Even if
your test reveals a beneficial effect from compiler flags, it is
better when denormals are detected and flushed in the C code. Anyway,
it is still interesting to know what makes the difference.

Katja