[PD] [bob~] denormals issue?

David Medine dmedine at ucsd.edu
Thu Sep 22 01:10:21 CEST 2016

 From a few posts ago it looks like -O3 is what causes denormals to
stick around, but I don't really know what I'm talking about. RK4 (which
is what bob~ uses to solve the system) will never 'naturally' bring the
filter state exactly back to 0 unless forced to in some way so if the
denormals aren't handled elegantly, they will abound with 0 input to the
filter no matter what (once some input has gone into the filter that
is). My guess is that a slow decay doesn't push the filter states down
into that region.

It is stupid and certainly sub-optimal, but maybe:

x = (x<DENORMAL_THRESH ? 0 : x);

where DENORMAL_THRESH is some very, very small normal number? This would
have to be done on the negative side of 0, too. 2x compares is probably
not as bad as the potential 100x slowdown (according to Wikipedia) that
denormal arithmetic might cause.

It should be the case that the same compiler flags (for plain C anyway)
produce, within limits, the same behavior across different compilers but
that probably isn't true. This would be an interesting check. I'd like
to know if leaving off -03 has the same effect with gcc.