[PD] purr data beta1

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 04:35:59 CEST 2016

> From: Alexandre Torres Porres <porres at gmail.com <mailto:porres at gmail.com>>
>
> I have the idea that extended's development was highly centralized, not that I mean to imply that this was the intention, but it seems to me that's how it went, so when it was abandoned, it was hard to take it further - I might be totally wrong in my analysis so please feel free to correct me.

It was the fact that extended:

1. largely relied on the efforts of 1 person
2. was hard to build, as Jonathan mentioned
3. was largely centralized (not a huge deal as anyone could get SVN access if they really wanted it)
4. largely diverged from Pd vanilla to the point where it would be pretty difficult to integrate new versions of vanilla, especially if you are not “the 1 person” with the knowledge

But most of all, nobody stepped up to keep it going. There was plenty of wringing of hands but no real effort in the end. I considered it, but I much prefer the new approach of decentralized, easy to build externals and a more robust vanilla, as opposed to me becoming the “extended guy”.

> What I wanna say is that I just hope more people get involved and collaborate with Purr Data and Pd-L2ork, so it benefits from an actual community effort where development happens faster.

Sure. I would point out that this was the intent of Pd-extended as well. I hope that Purr Data will find a way to overcome extended problems 1 & 4, if it hasn’t already.

--------
Dan Wilcox
@danomatika <https://twitter.com/danomatika>
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>