[PD] libpd for Unity still alive?

Thomas Mayer thomas at residuum.org
Tue Oct 25 22:52:40 CEST 2016

Hello all,

I have started a discussion about the C# API over at Github:

https://github.com/libpd/libpd/issues/153

To be clear, the restructuring of the C# API should not remove the
current thin wrapper around the C API, but will additionally offer a
more idiomatic API, and should be prepared for multi-instance support,
that is about to come soon(TM).

Maybe starting this weekend I will start with a stubbed version of a new
API, and will put it in a new branch over at Github, and encourage you
all to give feedback, C# programmer or not.

I have some ideas, but not that much time.

Thanks,
Thomas

On 25.10.2016 01:23, Ali Momeni wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> My answers in line below:
>
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 6:56 PM, Scott R. Looney <scottrlooney at gmail.com
> <mailto:scottrlooney at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     Android latency is often a fact of life, even by that much. one
>     question is whether you're getting that latency playing it in the
>     Editor. if not, that may be a libpd question that would need
>     answering. you might also reach out to Sebastian(hagish) to ask him,
>     though he might be no longer working with libpd since Kalmiba wasn't
>     updated in a while. he did in fact say that Android latency was an
>     issue in the Read Me. however you might have more luck with this
>     fork which has a latency fix in Android. not sure how good it is,
>     but it's been updated about a year ago:
>
>     https://github.com/marcinkaszynski/kalimba
>     <https://github.com/marcinkaszynski/kalimba>
>

> This is great to know; i will try that.
> To answer your question, I do not have this latency issue in the editor.
> Even more importantly, I don't have this issue when i build the same Pd
> patch for android, using the libpd4unity approach, as i've done here:
> https://github.com/cmuartfab/libpd4unity-starter
> <https://github.com/cmuartfab/libpd4unity-starter>
> <https://github.com/cmuartfab/libpd4unity-starter>
>

>     @ali - as i understand it, creating instances of PD/libpd has been
>     discussed for a while as a positive step. i haven't had a need for
>     it yet but others on this list have discussed benefits, mostly in
>     terms of both power and resource management. there are drawbacks as
>     well, but unfortunately i don't know the particulars. one instance
>     is enough for me for the moment though. but i think the strength is
>     dynamically spawning and killing resources as needed.
>

> Good to know; thanks scott.
>
> ali
>

>     best,
>     scott

"From the perspective of communication analysis, government is not
an instrument of law and order, but of law and disorder." (Gracchus
Gruad in: Robert Shea & Robert A. Wilson, The Golden Apple)
http://www.residuum.org/