[PD] Deken library management. Was: [pdconv16_r] Topics: Deken/Core Objects/Website/Community Involvement

Derek Kwan derek.x.kwan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 11:34:12 CET 2016

> > Deken as it is right now, you
> > pretty much have to know the name of the library you want to install,
> > and what it does/what it contains. As a new user, I'd find that pretty
> > daunting.
>
> very good point!
>
> > Thus, I'd propose: a list of keywords for the library (including object
> > class names), version number, category (if applicable), author, and a
> > short description.
>
> that would make a lot of sense. maybe this info could then be synced with https://puredata.info/downloads/by-category/library so there would also be an up-to-date online ressource (without the need of running Pd)?

Hello,

See IOhannes's reponse to me about the -objects.txt. Also, yes, it would
be good to have a centralized up-to-date resource with this information
but I think it's also important that the same information or near the
same information is available within Pd as well. Having to open a
web-browser and dig around the internet for the information (which
admittedly would be easier with an up-to-date centralized resource) just
adds extra steps to the process when it's so much more convenient and
intuitive to not have to leave Pd and get the information you want and
download the library with just a few clicks or so.

--
Derek Kwan
www.derekxkwan.com