[PD] include libpd? (Re: plans for Pd 0.48)

Giulio Moro giuliomoro at yahoo.it
Thu Jan 5 11:02:36 CET 2017

Speaking of Bela, we have also been using libpd for the past nine months or so. Some modifications were necessary to allow Xenomai to perform at its best.  https://github.com/BelaPlatform/libpd/
The most important was to take the `sys_microsleep()` out of PROCESS(_x, _y) in z_libpd.c : this was performing socket I/O in the audio thread, and this is bad practice in general, but particularly dangerous when using Xenomai.This broke [netreceive] and until recently we relied on the libpd API to replace it.I did some work last month for a threaded [netreceive] which uses a ringbuffer. https://github.com/giuliomoro/pure-data/tree/Bela-net (still work-in-progress)I think this is a reasonable solution (surely for us, perhaps for others?) in that network communication is by definition not deterministic, so having it in the audio thread did not make it any better.
Other modifications involved taking the minimum blocksize down to 8 samples and implement threading for [sigmund~] (still hacky). In the future I'll want to implement threading for all vanilla objects which process large blocks of samples at a time (e.g.: fft~, fiddle~), as previously discussed on this list: https://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2016-09/116224.html