[PD] repackaging externals on Deken

Fred Jan Kraan fjkraan at xs4all.nl
Thu Jan 19 20:19:59 CET 2017

Hi Liam,

> Hi all,
>

> I'm starting to think about how to distribute the Context sequencer when
> it is ready (hopefully the day is not very far away).  Context is an
> abstraction, but it relies heavily on externals*. Ideally, I want it up
> on Deken, but I'm not sure what to do about the external packages. Is it
> feasible / acceptable to bundle all the externals I'm using into a
> folder and distribute them along with the main Context package? I'm
> hoping that this way the whole thing could be downloaded and installed
> in one click, but I want to make sure that there aren't any
> complications or license issues. Has external repackaging been done before?

Probably, but it is not very common. In the days of Pd-extended it
wasn't very necessary. You could just say; 'works with with pd-extended'
and be done with.

Nowadays you have to deal with users which already have some or all of
the externals you depend on and others who haven't and don't know how to
get them.
The luxurious solution would be to make two packages, one with and one
without externals. Just all used object binaries in one folder would be
ok, as it is not mandatory for the usual licenses to include sources, as
long as you clearly specify where to find them and how each is licensed.

Just my opinion, of course, YMMV,

Greetings,

Fred Jan