[PD] repackaging externals on Deken

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Fri Jan 20 03:50:01 CET 2017

Hi all,

On 20/01/17 03:19, Fred Jan Kraan wrote:
>> I'm starting to think about how to distribute the Context sequencer when
>> it is ready (hopefully the day is not very far away).  Context is an
>> abstraction, but it relies heavily on externals*. Ideally, I want it up
>> on Deken, but I'm not sure what to do about the external packages.

The best solution to this is currently vapourware.

It would work like Python's requirements.txt, Node's package.json,
Ruby's gemspec etc. where you could specify the other packages
(externals/abstractions) that your package depends on. This could be
done in a pd META patch or a textfile or whatever.

A user can then choose to install those dependencies into the directory
of their current patch, or to their pd-externals directory.

As for your situation - I would like the dependencies somewhere obvious
and tell the user they will need to install them.

Cheers,

Chris.

--
http://mccormick.cx/