[PD] repackaging externals on Deken

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Jan 20 19:28:50 CET 2017

On 01/20/2017 05:22 PM, Liam Goodacre wrote:
> A quick and dirty solution to this might be to rename all the external files that are
> uploaded in the Context deken package (ie. "demux.pd_linux" --> "demux2.pd_linux").
> This would solve the problem as far as I can see, although it seems somehow wrong.
> What are people's thoughts about this?

1) appending "2"? and for those objects that already have a "2" appended
(e.g because you took them from a package that included a 3rd party
lib), just increment it to "3".hmm...

2) renaming the file will just render it unusable: Pd looks for a
specific symbol within the file, and the symbol must match the filename.

> Two other points that are worth mentioning:
>

> 1. Context depends on [initbang] from iemguts 0.2.1. Last time I checked, the deken package for this was only available for Windows, not Linux or Mac.

it's available via Debian for about 19 differenct architectures.
and there is a pd-deken-apt package that allows one to install Debian
packages via deken (on a Debian system).

anyhow, the reason why i never bothered to upload it was that i figured
it would be trivial enough to compile it yourself on anything but w32.

> 2. I haven't used the [declare] object at all, given the warning in the help file against using it in abstractions. Instead, each external is declared in the object name.

then you should upgrade to Pd-0.47 (-1?) and re-read the help-patch.

mgdsar
IOhannes