[PD] repackaging externals on Deken

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 11:50:11 CET 2017

Liam,

Choosing a unique name for an external is indeed the best warranty to avoid
conflicts. Not only a future release of a dependency has the potential to
break your patch. An old release with a bug or missing feature can do that
too! It seems there's no way to force Pd loading the executable that sits
in your project tree (I would be very happy if someone can prove me wrong).

So if you're concerned about versions of externals breaking your patch, you
could preventively fork them under a different and very specific name. Like
'contxt_demux', 'contxt_initbang'. I won't advise against it because the
issue of name clash in pd is serious enough to consider all strategies, but
be aware that forking is a bit more involved than simply renaming an
existing binary (which won't do the trick as IOhannes has already
mentioned).

In either case (modified class names or not) a redistribution of GPL
licensed software should include the sources, and when you redistribute a
subset you need a customized build system.

Note that I'm not advertising to redistribute, just detailing the
consequences. I learn from this discussion too.

Katja