[PD] Pd + ASIO

Christof Ressi christof.ressi at gmx.at
Tue Feb 21 11:37:12 CET 2017

> Thats right, only one app (not necessary Pd) can access the soundcard via ASIO.

Ok, thanks!

> Does other ASIO software can control your focusrite?

No, at least not in the way you're used to. As I've said, modern quality audio interfaces automatically come with multi-client ASIO drivers which means that several apps can access the device simultaneously. Before that, a single app had total control over the sound card via the ASIO driver (and could therefore set the latency directly, as you observed with your audio interfaces) but apparently that's not true any more. It wouldn't work that way because each app can request a different buffersize.

I'm curious if there are users on the list who have experiences with *multi-client* ASIO devices + Pd? I'll make some tests with different audio interfaces and collect the results.