[PD] how-do-i-install-externals-and-help-files page (was Re: Linux Global folder for externals)

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 21:32:11 CET 2017

On Don, 2017-03-02 at 20:22 -0300, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:

> > for starters, you could just follow the instructions on
> >    https://github.com/pure-data/deken/#download
> I had done that, but downloading deken-plugin.tcl to my Pd folder
> doesn't do it...
>
> and I also tried to replace the pd_deken.tcl file inside the pd app
> for the new one, no luck...
>
> it load the deken plug in, but it's not asking to download to the
> user folder even if it is not there (let alone create it) and it's
> not remembering the path between restarts.
>
> maybe it's not enough to get the new deken code from its github?
> Maybe I need to recompile Pd when it gets merged?

No, you just need to put it into a search path of Pd. If your goal is
to test whether the most recent change works (creation of the user
specific folder), then you obviously can't use that, you may put it
into the application specific folder (don't know the exact path for
Mac, something like /Applications/Pd.app/[...]/extra).

Download this file:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pure-data/deken/master/deken-plugin.tcl

Save it to extra, make sure it has the name deken-plugin.tcl.

That's it. It will override the one included in Pd and it will announce
that in the Pd console with a message like:

---
deken-plugin.tcl (Pd externals search) in /home/roman/.local/lib/pd/extra loaded.
Platform detected: Linux-x86_64-64bit
---

If you such a message, then you are ready to test the new feature.
Search something, click something and it should ask you:

"Install to /Users/alexandre/Library/Pd?"

If you click 'yes', this directory is created. As far as I know, the
'remember the last path' feature hasn't been implemented yet.

Roman