[PD] how-do-i-install-externals-and-help-files page (was Re: Linux Global folder for externals)

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Sat Mar 4 10:30:27 CET 2017

On Fre, 2017-03-03 at 19:55 -0300, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:

> > After putting deken-plugin.tcl into extra/, don't you see a message
> > from Deken in the Pd-console when you start Pd?
> >

> no, I don't
>
> > I must assume you downloaded deken-plugin.tcl by copy&pasting from
> > browser to Microsoft Word and saved it as deken-plugin.tcl.
> nope, I downloaded as it is.
>
> So, if I just put in "extra", I get no message, no change in
> behaviour, and, like I said, my pd has a pd_deken.tcl file in a tcl
> folder outside the extra folder, that's the one that needs to be
> replaced, so it seems...
>
> So, I just repeated myself, so what does it mean? I'm trying to say
> that this file that is there still counts... how do I know? If I
> delete it, I get a tcl error saying the file couldn't be found...
> even if I have that other one in the extra folder, like you
> suggested.
>
> Now, if I replace the tcl file I have for the new renamed downloaded
> file, like I also said, nothing new happens, it doesn't offer me to
> install in the non existing ~Library/Pd folder.
>
> that's all I really have to say :/

OK. In the meanwhile, I had the chance to make my own test on a Mac
(10.6, though) and I think I figured out what was going on. IOhannes
gave the critical clue: Overriding only happens with a _newer_ version.

I think this happened:

You downloaded the new deken-plugin.tcl and saved it at
Pd.app/.../tcl/pd_deken.tcl. By doing this you upgraded the internal
deken script. Then I advised you to put deken-plugin.tcl into
Pd.app/.../extra. However, no message from Deken appeared in the Pd
console, because it did _not_ override the internal, because both
internal and the one in extra had the same version. Thus, we thought
you were not able to the test the new version, but you actually tested
it, we just didn't notice.

But why did it not create the folder /Users/alex/Library/Pd, you may
ask now? You said, you have admin rights on your Mac and you can write
into XX.app folders without elevated privileges. I assume you have the
checkbox "allow to manage this computer" (translated from German)
checked for your user in system preferences. So, when you download the
Pd.app and put it to /Applications, you're still the owner of that
folder and you keep write permissions. Deken looks through search paths
and finds one that is writable, thus it does not suggest to install to
/Users/alex/Library/Pd. I logged in to the same computer with a
different user (without "manage this computer" privileges) and - tadah:
Deken asks and creates the user specific folder. So the feature indeed
does work, also on Macs.

Can we close this thread with 'works as designed'?

Roman