[PD] New users and external path struggles

Christof Ressi christof.ressi at gmx.at
Sun Jul 30 20:33:29 CEST 2017

> on a view against a consensus we seem to have here, in which a standard search path is not a place for externals,

but that's rather absurd. what is the use of a standard path if not a place where to put libraries? you described it beautifully in your HOWTO:

application specific standard path = only for this Pd installation
user specific standard path = only for Pd installations of this user
global standard path = for all Pd installations

who actually disagrees with this?

---

user defined search paths are a nice feature but they have a serious disadvantage: you can't interface them with [declare], so it's not the best thing to use with libraries. I think this is important to remember!
maybe this could be resolved by adding another flag to [declare] for user defined paths, like [declare -user myfolder]. this would be a very cool feature anyway!

---

I think for experienced users the situation is fine. I'm really happy with Deken on Windows right now. The problem is rather that the standard search paths are awkward for beginners on Windows and OSX. They are either hidden or users don't have writing permission.

personally I really think that the user specific standard path should be autocreated (by the installer and/or Deken) - like any other program does.
when I install REAPER on Windows I automatically get a folder C:\Users\Christof\AppData\Roaming\REAPER

but I also like Alex' idea that Deken should always initially propose the user specific standard path and create it when you want to install there!

sorry for being redundand but I think we have to find a consensus on this sooner or later, not necessarily for this release!

Christof